Long Island Radio & TV Factoids
Clarence Mckay, Chairman of the Board of Postal Telegraph Cable Co, built an 648 acre estate in Roslyn called Harbor Hill in 1899. Little remains of the estate boardered by; Glen Cove Road in Greenvale on the east, Roslyn Rd on the west, East Hills on the south and, Northern Blvd on the north.
The elementary school in Greenvale is named the Harbor Hill School.
The orginal gates of the estate can be seen on Roslyn Road. A community swimming pool was built inside the gates.
A statue of a horse from the estate was moved to the front of Roslyn High School. It's currently being restored off-site.
The Air National Guard has a base on the original property.
The original water tower is still in use by the Roslyn Water District.
More about the estate...
Marconi had an operator training station in Babylon, NY.
There's a Marconi Blvd in Copaigue.
WSNL-TV Channel 67, Long Island's first commercial TV station, operated from studios and transmitter off the Long Island Expressway in Patchogue in the 1970's
LIRTVHS Member, Ted David, can be seen anchoring on News12
LIRTVHS, Vice-President, Bill Mozer, is an audio engineer for the ABC-TV Daytime show, The Chew